Solving My Clients’ Problems For More Than 10 Years

Can Mom and Dad join me in the United States?

On Behalf of | Apr 2, 2022 | Immigration

If you left your parents behind to search for a new life in the United States, there might come the point where you want them to join you.

Perhaps you always promised to bring them once you had settled in, maybe you want them to see their grandchildren grow, or maybe you want to care for them in their old age. Provided you hold U.S. citizenship and are 21 years of age or older, you have a chance.

You need Form I-130

Each immigration application requires a particular form. In this case, it is Form I-130. You will need additional documentation to accompany the application:

  • Your naturalization certificate or U.S. passport
  • Your birth certificate featuring your name and that of your parents
  • What if my birth certificate does not have my Mom or Dad’s name on it?

Not all dads make it onto their kid’s birth certificates. Yet it may still be possible to have them join you with additional documentation. Stepparents who married your birth parent before you turned 18 years of age may also be allowed.

If you succeed with the application, your parents can go to the U.S. consul where they live to complete the visa process for permanent residency. They will then be able to stay as long as they like and work if they wish. Provided, of course, they do not violate the Green Card rules at any point.

Immigration applications can be costly in terms of time and money. Errors could easily lead to rejection, causing further delay or blowing your chances entirely. To give yourself the best chance of success, seek legal help to tackle all immigration issues.