Solving My Clients’ Problems For More Than 10 Years

What are your options if the at-fault driver can’t pay?

On Behalf of | Sep 7, 2022 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

If you are involved in a Texas car accident caused by another party, you may want to file a lawsuit and seek compensation for your damages and losses. 

However, what if the other driver wasn’t insured? What if they don’t have enough insurance to cover all your costs? Knowing your options is essential to ensure you can recover what you lost because of a car accident. 

Turn to your auto policy

Many auto insurance policies in Texas include coverage for underinsured or uninsured motorists. However, it may not be enough if you have an expensive vehicle or need long-term medical treatment and rehabilitation. It’s required for insurance companies to offer drivers this coverage, and if you refuse it, you must put it in writing. 

If you are involved in an accident with a driver who is underinsured or uninsured, then your auto insurance will cover the damages to your vehicle. If you have health insurance, this should help to cover some of the medical treatment and costs caused by the accident. Unfortunately, your health insurance probably won’t cover your long-term care needs after an accident. 

File a lawsuit against the at-fault party

If your underinsured or uninsured auto insurance doesn’t cover all your accident-related costs, you can move forward and file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. There are some situations where their assets can provide compensation for your losses. 

Understanding your legal rights after a car accident is important to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Being informed and knowing your legal options is something that will pay off in the long run.