The Representation You Need After A Motor Vehicle Accident
The time after an accident is stressful and overwhelming. You not only face a long physical recovery, but you may also lose your vehicle to damages, have expensive medical bills and lose money from time off work. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a motor vehicle accident, you need an experienced attorney to advocate for your right to just compensation.
At Kelso Law, PLLC, in Dallas, our motor vehicle accident attorneys understand what you are going through. We will take the time to get to know you and thoroughly evaluate your case before explaining your legal options. While no amount of money can take away your suffering, it can help you move forward.
Different Types Of Motor Vehicle Accidents
At Kelso Law, PLLC, our motor vehicle accident attorneys can represent you in a wide range of accident cases. Whether you suffered catastrophic injuries in a truck accident or a distracted driver hit you, we can provide the guidance and representation you need.
Here’s some helpful information about common accidents Kelso Law, PLLC, represents.
If you are a frequent commuter, you’ve probably thought that it’s a wonder there are not more car accidents. Some people drive aggressively. It’s as if they are responding to a life-threatening emergency and they need other drivers to get out of their way. Here are some unsafe and illegal behaviors that are the most frequent causes of car wrecks:
- Distracted driving such as texting
- Impaired driving due to intoxication
- Fatigued or tired driving
Regardless of what caused your accident, you deserve fair compensation for your injuries. We will thoroughly examine the evidence in your case to determine the cause and the at-fault parties.
When a huge truck weighing 40 tons or more collides with another vehicle it usually causes catastrophic injuries and death to the occupants of the smaller car. Because damages are enormous, often costing trucking companies millions per accident, their insurance carriers will go to great lengths to deny the trucker was at fault.
Truckers are coached in advance on what to say to deny liability after an accident. Truck drivers are trained to contact the company immediately and the trucking company’s insurance carrier will have investigators at the accident scene and likely drones above the scene taking pictures right away. Their investigators have been known to pose as concerned bystanders and try to strike up conversations with accident victims who are conscious. It is very important to refuse to speak to anybody and, if you are able, to call an attorney right away from the accident scene.
Motorcyclists should understand one thing: other drivers may not see you. Defensive driving is crucial when on a motorcycle to avoid being run down. Always wear a helmet and protective clothing to minimize your injuries in a wreck. Try to get off the road after being hit, to avoid being run down by another driver. Bikers get a bad rap and are often faulted due to bias and lazy investigative work. We have turned countless motorcycle investigations around to prove the rider was not at fault
You’d be surprised to learn how many railroad accidents occur in the U.S. yearly. Railroad accidents are regulated by federal and state laws and frequently, there are multiple parties to blame. Determining who is responsible can be complicated. Also, if you or a family member was injured or killed in a railroad accident, the statute of limitations to file a claim can be as short as 30-60 days from the date the accident occurred. Because of all this, it’s crucial that you contact an experienced attorney to represent you right away.
What To Do After Being Involved In An Accident
At the scene of the crash, if you’re conscious and not disabled, you should take the following steps:
- Do not admit fault at the scene of a collision. Your best course is to say as little as possible. Even saying something like “I’m sorry” to somebody at the scene of an accident could be taken as an admission of responsibility.
- You have to provide your name and contact information at the scene of a collision.
- Take pictures of how the cars are positioned, airbags deployed and up-close damage.
- Only take photos or videos if it is safe to do so!
- Request a police report (whether it is your fault or not). However, police may not show up, and if they do show up, they may not write a report: in Texas, if no one is injured or the vehicle damage is less than $1,500, then the police are not required to write a report, but they still may show up and facilitate an exchange of information.
- If the other party admits fault, get it from them in writing (they can text or email you) or have them call their insurance company or your insurance company and open a claim and admit fault to the insurance company over the phone.
If you think you are hurt, call an ambulance and get to a hospital immediately.
After you’ve left the scene of the crash:
- Do not delay medical treatment. If you do not have health insurance or other resources to help pay for medical treatment, I can help.
- Do not talk to any insurance companies. They will ask you trick questions and record your conversation.
- Do not sign any papers presented to you by an insurance company.
You should also obtain comprehensive medical treatment and do everything you can to get well as soon as possible, including attending medical appointments and following doctor’s instructions. You should ensure that you check for all possible injuries, through diagnostic imaging or consultations with specialists, before being released from medical treatment. You don’t want to discover an injury after your case is settled.
Why You Should Work With An Attorney After A Crash
Insurance companies rarely have your best interests in mind. They will offer you low settlements to try and settle your claim as quickly and cheaply as possible. Without an experienced personal injury lawyer in your corner, you will be offered minimum compensation in exchange for signing a release of liability for your claim.
In many cases, the other party’s insurer will dispute your claim entirely, and try to prove that you caused the accident. From our first meeting, our personal injury lawyers will take over communications with insurance companies so that you can focus on healing.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
Insurance companies never profit by being overly generous to accident victims. Your U.S. citizenship does not matter when it comes to being injured. At Kelso Law, PLLC, we help clients no matter what your immigration status is. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 214-216-6816 or fill out our online contact form.